Wednesday, January 12, 2011

To talk or not to talk

Fasting is usually a big secret for me. The Bible seems to say that when you fast - don't talk about it. Especially don't whine and complain. So, in trying to honor that I don't really talk about what I'm doing - even though sometimes you just feel like sharing it with someone.

But this time it's a corporate fast that I am doing with the North Side singles group. So, since other people know I'm doing it, I feel a little more free to talk about it, and I hope that whoever might read this (maybe 2 people) might be encouraged a little.

This is a Daniel fast, not a complete fast. So my days are spent craving sweets, meets, and caffeine for sure. My plan right now is to write down my fasting experience here on this blog.

Day 1 (one day ago)
Not a good day. Missed my morning coffee, but put some natural juice in the microwave and it felt a little bit like java, didn't really taste like it. Headache came in the afternoon. Made me realize I drink way too much caffeine and consume too much sugar on top of that. Detox is going to be fun. I felt hungry much of the day, but nothing too terrible. I felt sleepy all day, which was probably worse. I even took a nap during my lunch break. Not sure why I went to a late movie with some friends, but I did and even fell asleep during that.

Day 2 (today)
I think fasting makes all the junk in your life rise to the surface. I woke up this morning angry, frustrated, about stupid stuff that happened a couple of years ago. One of our prayers during the fast is supposed to be for healing. I'm asking God to heal me of the bitterness that I tend to hold on to sometimes. I'm asking God to help me forgive those who have done me wrong.

Fasting is not fun, it's not supposed to be. But I can tell that it is a meaningful and useful discipline. And God will use this. I'm enjoying hearing from friends who are sharing this experience with me. It's good to know I'm not alone.

No comments: