Saturday, June 28, 2008

NO BIKE FOR ME

I'm really glad I didn't buy a bike for the Ride:Well tour.  I committed to riding in the Dallas leg of the cross country bike ride a few months ago but never got around to finding a bike. I wasn't really comfortable asking anyone if I could borrow theirs and I feel like I don't know enough about bikes to know a good on one ebay or craig's list. I thought I would buy a new one, but when it came down to it it didn't seem like the best idea.

Today I feel like that was one of the best financial decisions I've ever made.  A friend offered to loan me his mountain bike which isn't really ideal for the road. Thats what I rode and it killed me for about 7 miles.  Then a friend I was riding with got a flat and we sat on the side of the road for an hour waiting for someone to give us a spare tube.  Several people drove up promising to get us help, but in the end the race was almost over and we were stuck on mile 7 with no real help in sight. So we walked to the nearest rest stop and hitched a ride to the finish line.

There is a lot better things you can do with your money than buying a bike you would only ride for 7 miles.  I know, I probably would have ridden it at other times, but it might have been more out of guilt for spending that much money. So I got to donate some of the money to Blood:Water Mission and the rest will probably go toward bills. I just pray the next time I'm feeling impulsive and want to buy something expensive and fleeting I'll spend my money on something more worth while - like building wells in Africa or giving it to the church or some organization that does cancer research. And for me that means staying away from Best Buy.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'm concerned that since you don't have many readers yet, you won't have any comments, and that's just sad. So, here's a comment. :-) Way to blog!